Angelina | Feb 19, 2024 | 0
Fully-Funded Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at the University of British Columbia, Canada
The UBC is thrilled to announce its continued collaboration with the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) for the upcoming 2024/25 academic year. This enduring partnership plays a pivotal role in empowering the next generation of leaders hailing from economically disadvantaged communities, providing them with the education and skills necessary to contribute to social and economic progress in their home countries.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program: A Vision for Change
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is a global initiative with a 10-year mission to educate and develop young leaders poised to drive social and economic transformation in their communities. This program specifically targets young individuals from economically disadvantaged backgrounds in Africa, aiming to address gaps in secondary and tertiary education in the region.
Africa, with over 60 percent of its population under the age of 25, stands as the youngest continent globally. Despite significant economic and political strides, Sub-Saharan Africa faces challenges in enrolling its youth in quality secondary and tertiary education. The MCFSP seeks to alter this narrative by offering comprehensive support to scholars, arming them with the knowledge, skills, and values crucial for success in the global economy.
Scholarship Eligibility and Application Details
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- Have completed a Bachelor’s degree.
- Not already possess a graduate or PhD degree.
- Be 35 years old or younger at the time of application.
- Be a citizen or refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances.
- Have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances.
- Show leadership qualities or potential.
- Demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to their home community.
- Be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada.
- Not be a person who claimed or will claim asylum or protected person status after arriving in Canada.
- Commit to returning to Africa to apply their training and skills for the betterment of others.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
Steps to Apply
Step One: Assess Your Eligibility
- Decide your Program(s) of Interest from the provided list.
- Consult the Minimum Academic Requirements/International Credentials for Graduate Students, listed by country, to determine your academic eligibility.
- Consult the program website to ensure you possess the appropriate background experience.
Step Two: Additional Tests
- If your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English, make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS).
Step Three: MCFSP Application Package
- Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application by December 1, 2023.
- Submit the package electronically in a single PDF document via email to email@example.com.
Step Four: UBC Faculty Applications
- Apply online as instructed upon completing the MCFSP Application.
- Review faculty application instructions and eligibility for fee waivers.
Step Five: Reviewing Process
- In February 2024, faculties will nominate candidates for admission for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
- A university-wide selection committee will review applications, rank them, and select award recipients.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a video interview in April 2024.
For further questions about the UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply to UBC:
Address: The UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
c/o MCFSP, Global Lounge
2205 Lower Mall, Bldg 1
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z4
Tel 604 822 9803