Angelina | Feb 28, 2024 | 0
Calling Young Europeans: A New Online Media Initiative by the European Commission
Open for Applications: October 12, 2023 – Closing: January 29, 2024
For the fourth consecutive year, the European Commission is back with an exciting opportunity! They are committed to supporting the creation of daily, thought-provoking, and reliable content about current European affairs, and it’s designed for young Europeans like you.
What’s This About?
This initiative is part of the European Parliament Preparatory Action called “A European public sphere: a new online media offer for young Europeans.” It comes with a substantial budget of €9 million, and it’s an invitation for news media organizations and non-profit youth organizations to launch ambitious, cross-border projects.
The main goal is to bridge the gap between the EU and young people, motivating them to become active citizens and connecting them across borders. The focus is on making online information available in various languages, discussing topics that affect young Europeans in engaging ways and from different perspectives. These projects should stimulate lively discussions and even organize youth events. Importantly, they must remain editorially independent and free from political interference.
What to Expect:
Projects are set to kick off in the summer of 2024, with an estimated duration of 14 months. The European Commission is looking to fund up to 4 proposals, with each grant capped at €3.2 million. You can request a lower co-funding rate if needed.
– Collaboration among at least five organizations from five EU Member States
– Creation of daily, thought-provoking content about current affairs, using innovative cross-border editorial processes
– An outreach plan to reach as many young Europeans as possible
– Content distribution through various channels like partner websites, blogs, and social media networks
– Engaging discussions and youth events
- The call for proposals, application forms and all relevant documents are available Here.
- Questions can be sent to CNECT-NEWSMEDIA@ec.europa.eu until at the latest 22 January 2024. All questions and answers will be published, anonymously, on this page.
- For an overview of other grant opportunities for news media, see updates on this page.
- You can subscribe to receive automatic updates whenever articles related to media are publish on CNECT’s website.
- Overview of news media projects
- Previously funded youth media projects